Green Wing Environmental Laboratory
This field station is located 80 miles east of the Augustana campus in Lee County, about half way between the Quad Cities and Chicago. It can be easily reached from the small town of Amboy (some 18 miles south of Dixon) by driving east on Main Street until it becomes Lee Center Road, then turning south onto Shaw Road and again south onto Searls Road. Proceeding less than a mile east on Lewis Road (from Searls Road) one comes to our main entrance gate. Total driving distance from Amboy is three miles. The address is: 1851 Lewis Road, Amboy, IL 61310. Here a map of the property.
Collinson Ecological Preserve
The preserve is located about eight miles south of campus in Milan, Illinois. With a driving time of 20 minutes from campus it is convenient for shorter field trips. From Rt. 67 in Milan turn east onto Knoxville Road and at the first stop light follow Knoxville Road up a long sloping hill south to 83rd Avenue. The main entrance to the preserve is one third mile west on this road to the dead-end sign where our property begins. Mill Creek comprises the western boundary of the Collinson preserve, and across the creek lies the Collinson Stone Company.
Beling Ecological Preserve
This wetland station is located adjacent to the Rock River at the boundary of Rock Island and Moline (just east of Backwater Gamblers Park). About 15 minutes from campus, it is easily reached by driving south from John Deere Expressway in Moline onto 7th Street (passing the Trinity Medical Center to the west) and stopping in the open field parking spot adjacent to the old North Shore Inn where 7th Street turns sharply east along the river. The north side of the new bridge across the Rock River from Milan is situated on the Beling preserve and when completed will connect with the John Deere Expressway.