We are pleased to invite
you to attend the joint fall meeting of the Iowa and Illinois
Sections of the American Association of Physics Teachers. Please come
to learn more about physics and astronomy, discover new tools and techniques
for teaching these subjects, share your experiences via contributed
presentations and Take Fives, meet old and new friends, watch a
planetarium show, see a Physics Demonstration show, bring a
"What is it?", enjoy free pizza at the Saturday lunch, and
participate in the informative Saturday afternoon "Ed. Camp".
You may parking in either the south or
north lot as you enter from 18th Street. The north lot is
closer to the main entrance. Everyone should enter through
the main entrance. There are a few handicapped spaces
right outside the main entrance.
The registration table will open at 9:00 am
on Friday with workshops starting at 9:30 and 10:00 am.
Friday lunch is on your own. The meeting
will conclude at about 3:00 pm on Saturday. Note that
there will be two opportunities to watch a show in the
Planetarium, at 8:00 pm on Friday and at 1:00 pm on Saturday.
Call for 15 minute
- Deadlines: Title (Oct.
10), Description (Oct. 17)
presentations are scheduled on
Friday afternoon (1:15 to 3:00, 4:30 - 5:30) and Saturday
morning (8:15 - 10:30). There are no parallel sessions. There are five categories of
presentations: (a) Active Learning, (b) Teaching Methods, (c) Demonstrations, (d)
Research, and (e) Other. Please check the appropriate box when you fill out the
Online form. Here is the current list of
presentations, including the
|● Families are encouraged
to come to the Quad Cities to enjoy
- Family Museum (a few blocks from the high school)
- Putnam Museum in Davenport, they have a new hands-on
- John Deere Pavilion (free) in Moline, near I-74
● Friday evening parallel family activities
scheduled at 8:00 pm include
- Physics demonstrations by
Dale Stille of the
University of Iowa
- Short shows in the Don Schaefer Planetarium (at
Bettendorf High School)
- Telescope viewing sponsored by the
Astronomical Society on the football field
● The Illinois Section Council will meet on Saturday
morning at 7:00 am.
● The planetarium show will be repeated on Saturday
afternoon at 1:00 pm.
● Both sections will have their business meeting during
lunch on Saturday.
● On Saturday afternoon from 12:45 to about 3:00 pm
there will be an Ed. Camp with the topics to
discussed determined by having attendees key in their
physics and STEM interests via a computer,
tablet or smartphone. After watching the words
evolve on large screens, leaders will announce where
particular topics will be discussed. Sessions may
be long or short with people coming and going.
event is designed to be very interactive, informative,
and customized for those who attend. It sounds
exciting! This will be organized by Bettendorf
High School physics teacher Christopher Like.
registers for the meeting may take 5 minutes or less to share a
favorite item related to teaching physics - a demonstration, a
new website, announcement of an upcoming event, ...
Please use the Registration form to tell us the title of your
Take Five. There may be time for a few unannounced Take
Fives at the end of the last session of the day.
Registration. The deadline for banquet reservations is
Friday, Oct. 17.
The items on the registration form are:
1. Enter the title of a Take Five, if you have one.
2. Indicate if you are bringing a "What is it?"
3. Registration for both days: Faculty - $30, Students and
Guests - free.
Oct. 17, the registration fee for faculty will be $35.
4. Section dues: Iowa - $7, Illinois - $10 (K-12), $20
5. Workshops: Check which ones you
wish to attend.
6. Friday evening banquet: $16 - 3 entrees, 3 sides,
rolls, beverage, dessert
7. Saturday lunch: The menu is pizza and a beverage.
The cost is included in the registration fee.
You will choose the type of pizza by marking on an easel during
the Saturday morning break.
Friday lunch is on your own.
● During break time each day, food and a beverage may be purchased
at a serving window in the Atrium.
When you arrive at the meeting you
may pay the total fees at the Registration table by using (1)
cash, (2) a personal check, (3) a school or company check, (4) a
credit card, or (5) PayPal. Options 4 and 5 may be
done when you
register online, after the fees
If you have already
registered and would like to pay beforehand by credit card or
PayPal, check the
current fees page for the
amount, click on the Pay Now button below, and
type in that amount. You will receive an email receipt and
the treasurer of the
Illinois Section (Ken Wester) will be
informed of the transaction. Thank you.
● The local contacts for checking on classroom and lab
Pete Bruecken, Bettendorf High School,
Chris Like, Bettendorf High School,
If you have any problems with
submitting information via the online forms or if there
to be made, contact: