PH202 BASIC PHYSICS II WINTER 98-99
BASIC USE OF ORIGIN FOR GRAPHING
Origin is available on computers in the lab and Science 204.
TO PLOT DATA:
- Fill data into columns of table.
- Choose PLOT/SCATTER.
- Double click on "x-axis title" (or "y-axis title") to change it.
- Use T from toolbar to add title (or any other text).
- Choose TOOLS/LINEAR FIT to fit straight line.
TO PLOT FUNCTION:
- Select first columna.
- Choose COLUMN/SET COLUMN VALUES to set x valuesb.
ex: I=1to 101, col(A) = 5+0.1*(I-1) makes x go from 5 to 15 in steps of 0.1
- Select second columna.
- Choose COLUMN/SET COLUMN VALUES to set y as a function of xc.
ex: I=1to 101, col(B) = 3*col(A)^2 makes y=3x2.
- Choose PLOT/LINE.
If the graph is not a smooth curve, go back to step 2, and choose a smaller step size.
- Change axis titles and add graph title as described above.
- Click on label at top of column to select it.
- I=row #
(listed to the left of the first column in table).
- Can use sin(col(A)), acos(col(A)), sqrt(col(A)), e^(col(A)), pi, etc.