|St. John's Lutheran Church - Dongola, Illinois|
|Pamphlet - Erwin Weber - 1975|
St. John's Lutheran Church in Dongola is the oldest in the Illinois Synod. It was established in 1816 or 1819. At the foot of the great pines on the right stood the log church built between 1822 to 1824 by the Illinois Synods oldest congregation. As far as is known, it was the first building in Illinois to be used by Lutherans as a church. The pines are not native to Illinois. The cones were brought by settlers from North Carolina. The church in 1975, shown here, was erected in 1856. Services are held in this church every Sunday including all feast days, such as Christmas, All Saints Day, and Pentecost. Here is some additional history of this church.