|East Hall - Augustana College|
|Pen and Ink Sketch with Watercolor - Erwin Weber - 1967|
Six years after the completion of the main building in 1875, the third faculty residence was erected. It was larger than the others and located southeast of the Main building. It was an imposing 50 x 75 foot wood frame structure with brick veneer, two stories, and a full basement , with a tower above the north entrance. Originally it was a duplex residence, half being used as a residence for President Hasselquist and later President Olsson, the other being used first as a residence for Professor Henry Eck, then for theological professor R.F. Weidner, and later for a women's dormitory.
The basement was equipped with lecture rooms, and library for the Seminary until Old Main was built. In 1902, the entire building was converted to a women's dormitory. According to Brolander, among the students "Hashamayum" a Hebrew word supposedly meaning "abode of angels". The building served as a women's dormitory until 1928, when the Women's Building (Carlsson Hall) was completed on the north side of 7th Avenue. Then it became home for the Music Department. It included classrooms, studios, and offices. Still another change came in 1960 when the Music Department moved to the newly Centennial Hall and the Bergendoff Fine Arts Center on the north side of 7th Avenue. At that time the building became the home of the English Department with its offices and classrooms as well as some facilities for foreign languages including German, French and Spanish. It was then named East Hall.
By this time, East Hall was in badly need of repair and becoming functionally obsolete for classroom use.
Since there was no replacement in sight for the classrooms and offices in the building, it was decided to remodel the building by the College Physical Plant Department. A bequest of $40,000 was received from the estate of Dr. Paul Swanson, to complete the project. The result of the renovation was the creation of six new large classrooms and 12 offices. The building continued to serve a classroom building until 1978, when the building was razed to provide a portion of the site to the new College Center. A marker on a large boulder was placed near the southeast entrance of the College Center recognizing East Hall which for 97 years served such a wide variety of College needs.